Đọc bài viết bằng tiếng Việt tại đây.
This post was originally posted on I amsterdam as “15 Dutch foods to try in Amsterdam”. For me, I found it interesting to have a food bucket list of the place I’m going to. So besides places to go, things to see and stuffs to do, I also have a list of foods to try in Amsterdam.
As I will be travelling to BeNeLux for one week next month, here is my first food bucket list I want to share.
First I’ll just post the list as it is. Then I’ll try to taste all of them, and write about foods I’ve tried, with price, where to find the best in town, and also my personal comments. By that way, I hope you will have some ideas to consider before trying something new 🙂
You can read the original article with full description of each food by clicking on the title above. Green texts in italic below are my own comments.
Food bucket list:
15 Dutch foods to try in Amsterdam
- Bitterballen – Deep fried crispy meatballs traditionally served with mustard for dipping.
- Stroopwafel – Two thin waffles stuck together with a layer of sweet syrup → CHECKED
- Thick Dutch fries → CHECKED
- Raw herring
- Kibbeling – Battered and deep fried morsels of white fish, usually cod → CHECKED
- Croquettes from a vending machine
- Oliebollen – Deep fried sweet dumplings (sometimes containing fruit pieces) and dusted in powdered sugar.
- Cheese → CHECKED
- Poffertjes – Little fluffy clouds of battery goodness served with powdered sugar → CHECKED I tried it in Vietnam and I LOVE it!
- Ontbijtkoek – Ginger cake.
- Stamppot – Potatoes mashed with other vegetables. Traditional stamppot includes various combinations of sauerkraut, carrot, onion or kale, and is usually served with a big juicy sausage.
- Dutch liquorice – This is not liquorice as you know it, but a more salty, black version known as ‘drop’.
- Snert – Thick green stew of split peas, pork, celery, onions and leeks.
- Indonesian Rijstaffel – It’s Indonesian food, isn’t it?
- Tompouce – Cream-filled rectangular pastry characterised by a layer of smooth pink icing on top.
So it’s my very first food bucket list presented here on my blog. This list will be updated frequently next month. Stay tuned, people!